Friday, October 26, 2012

So Delicious

The other day I shared some recipes that I wanted to try.  You can find them here.  That evening I decided it was a fine time to make a couple of them for us to try.  It was kind of a disaster.  Not the recipes, they were great.  And the food turned out wonderful.  It was a disaster because in the middle of everything, our power went out.  For about 3 hours. I had baked oatmeal in the oven and eggs for Copycat Egg McMuffins waiting to be made in to the sandwiches.  I was quickly losing daylight and my kitchen is one of the first places to get dark.  I had my son hold a flashlight for me so I could get the sandwiches put together and in the refrigerator (which is funny because the power was out but at least they would get some refrigeration from the cold in there).  Now I had half baked oatmeal muffins to deal with. This was Wednesday evening which means it is religion night for the boy. And my bf was out hunting.  Complete chaos is what it was.  Good thing my sister-in-law lives right down the road.  I packed everything up, including a pound of ground beef I had just started frying, and took it to her house to finish cooking.  As least it all turned out good!

The first thing I tried was the Copycat Egg McMuffins.  I made some with canadian bacon and some without.  I had one without and loved it. It was filling and delicious. The bf had one with canadian bacon and enjoyed it. I will definitely be making them again.  I didn't have a jumbo muffin pan or large enough ramekins to cook the eggs in like Monica at The Yummy Life did and I am not one to go out and buy something just to try a new recipe (most of the time anyway).  Here is what I did....I have two round cake pans.  I cracked 6 eggs in to each pan and baked them.  It ended up working just fine. I cut each pan into 6 sections like a pie and put them on the sandwiches.  They don't fit perfect and don't look as nice as the round ones but I made do with what I had and they taste just as good.

Warning: Crappy phone picture!

I was so excited to try the Personal Sized Baked Oatmeal that I took a couple to work with me and had it for lunch.  I made 3 different kinds.  This recipe made 24 muffins.  I made 6 with blueberries, 6 with raspberries and 12 with mini chocolate chips on top.  For lunch I had a raspberry and a chocolate chip. Delicious!  The bf and son loved them too.  In fact, I believe they both had them for breakfast again this morning.  We ate ours plain but I imagine a little milk over the top would be delicious. I wish I had a picture to share with you but unfortunately the power was out and pictures were the last thing on my mind at that point.

Give these 2 recipes a try.  You will not be disappointed!  Let me know what toppings you use on your baked oatmeal.

~Jessica

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to try that oatmeal recipe, but I've been a little scared. I'll definitely have to try it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can easily make round ones by baking them in cupcake/muffin pans. I did these for copy cat McMuffins and they turned out great!

    ReplyDelete